iStar is the online application used at USC to review studies that require IRB review (Human Subjects Research) and to certify studies that do not require IRB review (Not Human Subjects Research (NHSR)).
The iStar application is used to:
- Create and edit electronic applications for IRB review
- Upload study documents (consent forms, recruitment materials, site permission letters)
- Track applications (through review by a division, department, or faculty reviewer) before being received by the IRB
- Correspond with the IRB regarding changes to an application
- Submit annual/ semi-annual applications for continuing review (if required)
- Receive and download the study approval letter and approved documents (consent forms)
- Report protocol deviations, subject complaints, or other unanticipated events
iStar Help Desk
The iStar sandbox site provides hands-on experience without submitting an actual application. These applications are NOT REVIEWED BY THE IRB. The sandbox allows users to operate in different roles: including PI, co-investigator, faculty advisor, and others.
To submit an IRB application, the Principal Investigator must login with a USC username and have an active affiliation with USC. Depending on the study activities researchers may also need to complete online training such as the Human Subjects Protections course, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), or Conflict of Interest. The courses are provided by www.citiprogram.org.