iStar (IRB Submission Tracking and Review) System
iStar (IRB Submission, Tracking, and Review) is the online IRB application system used at USC to review all human subjects research studies.
The iStar application is used for the following functions, among others:
- Create and edit an electronic application for submission to the IRB
- Upload study documents
- Track the progress of an application as it is routed for review (by a division, department, or faculty reviewer) before being received by the IRB
- Correspond with the IRB regarding changes to an application
- Submit annual/ semi-annual applications for continuing review (as required)
- Receive and download the approval letter and approved consent forms
- Report protocol deviations, subject complaints, or other unanticipated events
For technical assistance with the system contact:
iStar Help Desk
Accessing the Practice Site (“iStar Sandbox”)
The iStar sandbox provides the opportunity for individuals to complete a mock IRB application. These applications mimic real applications except they are NOT REVIEWED BY THE IRB. The sandbox allows you operate in different roles: including PI, co-investigator, faculty advisor, and others. It is a useful tool for classroom instructors to give their students hands-on experience without submitting an actual application.
iStar Training Resources
CITI and iStar
CITI is the education website for human subjects protection training. iStar usernames and passwords will not work in CITI, users must create a unique username and password to login to CITI. During the CITI registration process, users will be asked to input their iStar username in the demographic section so that the CITI training certificate can be automatically uploaded into iStar once the course is completed. CITI also provides courses in the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) and Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and can be accessed here.
Getting iStar Technical Help
For help with password retrieval, obtaining an iStar account, or other iStar technical question, please contact:
iStar Programmer / iStar Technical Support
Phone: (323) 276-2238