iStar is the USC system for review of human subjects research, animal research, radiation safety and biosafety. The USC Institutional Review Boards use iStar to review studies that require IRB review and to certify studies that do not require IRB review.
iStar is used to:
- Create and edit applications for IRB review (Full Board, Expedited, Exempt, Ceded Review, Coded Data)
- Upload study documents (e.g., consent forms, recruitment materials, site permission letters)
- Track applications (through review by a division, department, or faculty reviewer) before being received by the IRB
- Correspond with the IRB regarding changes to an application
- Submit continuing review applications (as required)
- Receive and download the study approval letter and approved documents (consent forms)
- Report protocol deviations, subject complaints, or other unanticipated events
- Questions regarding protocols under review
The iStar sandbox site provides hands-on experience without submitting an actual application. These applications are NOT REVIEWED BY THE IRB. The sandbox allows users to operate in different roles: including PI, co-investigator, faculty advisor, and others.