iStar – IRB Review System
iStar (IRB Submission, Tracking, and Review) is the online IRB application system used at USC to review all Human Subjects Research and Not Human Subjects Research (NHSR) studies.
The iStar application is used to:
- Create and edit electronic applications for submission to the IRB
- Upload study documents
- Track the progress of an application as it is routed for review (by a division, department, or faculty reviewer) before being received by the IRB
- Correspond with the IRB regarding changes to an application
- Submit annual/ semi-annual applications for continuing review (if required)
- Receive and download the approval letter and approved consent forms
- Report protocol deviations, subject complaints, or other unanticipated events
For technical assistance with the system contact:
iStar Help Desk
What’s in the iStar Application
- Sections of the iStar Application listed by review level
- A walk thru the iStar Application (Videos)
- Model IRB Applications
Depending on the intended study activities some certifications may be required, such as Human Subjects Protections, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), or Conflict of Interest (described here).
To obtain certifications, register for an account on citiprogram.org and complete a short online course.
iStar Practice Site
The iStar sandbox hosts practice IRB applications. These applications mimic real applications except they are NOT REVIEWED BY THE IRB. The sandbox allows users to operate in different roles: including PI, co-investigator, faculty advisor, and others. It is a useful tool that provides hands-on experience without submitting an actual application.