Depending on the nature of your research and funding, the IRB may require you to complete training on certain topics.
Human Subjects Research Training
- Principle Investigators (PI)s and any staff listed on an IRB application must complete human subjects research training.
- The human subjects training certificate is valid for three years and can be renewed by completing a refresher course.
- The course is offered as a social-behavioral version and a biomedical version, online at www.citiprogram.org
Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Principle Investigators (PI)s and study staff must complete GCP training every three years if working on FDA regulated studies or NIH funded studies that fit NIH definition of a clinical trial
- The course is offered in three versions (devices, drugs, social-behavioral research), online at www.citiprogram.org
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (aka “Privacy Rule”) requires all faculty, staff and other USC employees, as well as students, volunteers, agents and certain other individuals who have access to patient health information to complete a course on “protected health information”. Read more about the Privacy Rule.
- This requirement can be satisfied by completing the USC HIPAA Training Course
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training
- All students (undergraduates/graduate students) and postdoctoral scholars serving on studies funded by the National Science Foundation are required to complete a course on the Responsible Conduct of Research. Some NIH programs also require RCR training. Additional RCR education resources
- This requirement can be satisfied by completing a CITI online training course